Thursday, October 01, 2009

Am I Garbage Today

I have a Spanish speaking student in my class this year. We (my assistant and I) were told that she knows very little english- but actually she understands a lot. Sometimes if she is telling me a story she will say "I'm now going to tell you in Spanish, yes?" It's pretty adorable. But of course I dropped out of Spanish the third week and know basically nothing- so then we try to use hand gestures to get the story across, but if that fails, I just go get my assistant (my Spanish speaking aid). Sometimes I'll pick up a few words from my aid, but that's about all. We have classroom jobs and one of them is "garbage helper." I assigned this task to her, not thinking about explaining it to her. She went up to the classroom grandma and said "this is a garbage, yes?" and grandma replied "yes it is." confused look. thinking look. her reply "does this mean I am the garbage today?" A big smile from grandma "no sweatheart, it means that you get to help pick up the garbage and carry the garbage can around when Miss Fawn asks for help." So cute. It was also a nice reminder (spanish speaking or not) that I need to make sure that my students are understanding what I am saying- sometimes they just don't know what certain things mean- such as a garbage can :D

3 comments:

Erin said...

Cute kid!
When we went to Chile, Chris kept repeating one Spanish word over and over. Cerveza! I am not sure that is helpful for you at school but I thought I would offer it up! :)

Sara said...

that is adorable. :) I love it!

Manoj Agadi said...

Hello Fawn. It is good to have such students in the class. so that we can also learn some other languages like Spanish, French, Chinese etc...

newsletter software